Thursday, January 12, 2012

11 January - I'm home!

This will be a quick update for the blog.  The surgery took place on Monday morning at 8 as planned.  It took about two and a half hours and Dr. Dwyer was in to talk to my wife and son by .  By I was up in my room and spent most of the rest of that day in la-la land, dozing off from time to time.  The doctor felt that everything went well, there were no surprises.  Now my job is to heal.  Tuesday was a busy day.  I have a Foley catheter and that seems to be working well.  It will stay in for two weeks and then will be removed at the hospital.  There was also a drain from a point near the incision, but that was removed yesterday.  I was on IV with a morphine pump, but I seemed to be doing okay on pain meds by mouth, so I  only used the pump a couple of times out of curiosity more than anything else.  I’m getting antibiotics and will have those while I have the catheter.  To prevent blood clots, I was getting a shot in the stomach while I was in the hospital.  There was a lot of coming and going on Tuesday and I was able to get up and walk the loop of the floor six times with the nurse.  I sat up in a chair most of the morning.  Apparently all the happy medications were having their effect, because yesterday I wasn’t quite as perky.  I was on a full diet yesterday although I’m not overdoing that- need stool softeners now so that there is no strain on the incision.  My doctor gave me the choice of coming home on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, so I opted for Wednesday.  Around 4, son Eric came and collected Barb and me, drove us home with a stop for the various prescriptions.  It’s always good to be home and although the catheter bags (leg bag for the day and larger night bag) took a bit of getting used to, we did okay.  I’m sleeping on a recliner which seemed to help last night, and we have a raised seat on our toilet (recommended by a fellow veteran of the procedure) and that seemed to help today.  This is all for now.  Barb and I have both been overwhelmed by the support and concern shown by so many – you are much appreciated.  I’ll try to add a photo taken one day after surgery.  Stay tuned for new updates.

3 comments:

  1. Wayne,

    I have been asking about your progress and Barb and I are glad to hear you are doing so well. Rather than bother you we are getting updates from those that contacted you.

    We are both down this week with a cold/flu so we are staying very low. All part of the winter woes. I went walking with the group this morning in -15 degree...it seemed to pick me up for the time being.

    We will miss you during your recovery...try to get well promptly.

    Nelson and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wayne/ Barb
    Glad to hear all went well and that you chose to go home on Wednesday.
    I have announced my candidacy for Riverview Council today via Times interview should be in the Times tomorrow.

    Speedy Recovery from Mexico
    Cecile & Leo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wayne & Barb,

    we are pleased to hear that you are making good progress after your operation. Take it easy for the moment Wayne, give your body time to heal and let yourself be pampered a little !!
    Best wishes

    Graham & Colette

    ReplyDelete