Thursday, January 19, 2012

18 January - Destapled!

Yesterday was the day for the removal of the staples.  After a couple of low days at the end of last week, by Sunday I was somewhat perkier and ready to cope.  That’s always encouraging.  So the next appointment in the drill was up to the hospital for the removal of the staples.  There was no wait and the whole process took maybe ten minutes.
Questions you may want to ask-
How many staples were there?  17, I got the nurse to count as they came out.
Did it hurt?  I was told there might be some pulling or a bit of discomfort but it shouldn’t be bad.  It wasn’t and maybe I was just lucky.  None resisted coming out and it was very much like having staples removed from paper.  I think in times past, stitches might have been more of an issue.  Anyway this went fine, I thought.  The nurse applied steri-strips to the incision and they stay on until the first of the week.  My thought was that after five prostate biopsies, having staples removed should be easier for me.  And it was.
What’s next?  On Monday morning, I go back up to the same clinic for the removal of the catheter.  And then it’s just up to me to do whatever it takes to get back in good shape, or as good a shape as is likely!
I see a difference now in energy level- I’m able to walk through the halls of our building for a half hour at a time and don’t mind it.  I rarely take a daytime nap, but I wasn’t used to that anyway.  I sleep well although it’s not quite as carefree as not having a catheter as part of your existence.  I’m only up once at my usual time in the morning.  I’m not lifting anything, was told not to lift more than 5 pounds (or was it 10?) for the first four to six weeks.  I’m able to enjoy my meals and happy hour (with red wine included) is part of our day!  I haven't driven the car yet and may wait another week. 
Barb has been wonderful through all of this and has met every challenge (and there have been a few) successfully.
Life is good- I’m blessed!


1 comment:

  1. Wayne,

    Glad to hear your are doing so well. You are probably getting lots of calls so I have not added to them. Hope you are enjoying these nice sunny days on the south of your building.

    The walking was cool and somewhat icey this morning but we had a good turnout (8) with more joining for coffee.

    Keep up the smiles

    Nelson

    ReplyDelete